Tuesday, December 18, 2007

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

(Because it's ~j.'s one Christmas wish.)

Am I right, one person who still comes here hoping that I'll post something?! I have been in Utah for MONTHS now and not a word! I am so irresponsible! But I can't help it! I've been having way too much fun! For example, since I've been here, I have created a whole new "Top Ten Best Concerts I Have Ever Been To" list. I have seen, not in this order:
Muse
Rilo Kiley
Regina Spektor
Arcade Fire
Fall Out Boy
Gym Class Heroes
Hellogoodbye
Tori Amos
TORI AMOS!
That's right! I saw her TWICE!

I kind of like going to concerts in case you didn't know.

Okay, picture time.

Here is one reason why I moved here:


This is the view out of my living room window of the first real snow.


I officially became OVER snow a couple weeks ago when some friends and I went on a roadtrip to see Fall Out Boy and Gym Class Heroes in concert. It was the night we would have died if I had not gotten so freaked out that I said, "I will drive no further! I will rent us a hotel room!" We had been driving in white-out conditions at 5 mph in the middle of nowhere and the road was slick as ice because it was covered by ice. So, I love the snow because it's beautiful, but I hate driving in it right now.

A picture of some friends during that particular hotel stay during that particular roadtrip. From left to right: Zee, FFF (AKA Triple), Me. Yes, we have the same computer. Yes, we are precious!


So, as I said, I went to TWO Tori Amos concerts. As you, one person, should be aware, I might be in love with her or addicted to her or obsessed with her or almost stalking her or something. She came to Salt Lake City at the end of November, and it was one of the most amazing shows I've ever been to. She started every show of this tour as one of the characters from her latest album, American Doll Posse, because she likes concept albums or something.


In Salt Lake City, she started the show off as Pip, the doll on the far right side. Pip is very aggressive, and she has an affinity for rubber leggings.


She also enjoys rubbing weapons all over her body.



And she's quite amazing!


And then a costume change brings about Tori in an orange wig and a horrendous sequined jumpsuit. The only reason why I'm glad the tour is now over is so she can retire both of those items. I never want to see her in them again.


I loved her show here! My friends and I were dancing around, and screaming at each other when Tori started playing a favorite song of ours (every song). We were feet away from her. It was fantastic! I did feel a little rejected, however, because I wanted to meet her at the meet and greet, but her bodyguard came out to tell us that she didn't have time to do one that day. SADNESS! There were only 15 of us there, and I KNOW I would have had time to chat with her and feel all starstruck and nerdy fan junk like that. I even waited in the freezing cold with some hardcore people for a long time after the show to see if she'd come out. And she didn't. I'd missed my most awesome chance of meeting my favorite singer.

So, for weeks, I continued to read setlists from other shows, and I continued to be jealous of the people who got to see those shows because the setlists were always "My Dream Setlist". (Unlike most people, Tori changes her setlist every night, so it's always a new show, which is why her fans love to follow her around.) This past Friday, I got it in my head that I REALLY wanted to go to her final show in L.A. Plus, I'd never been to L.A. I looked up plane tickets, and they were shockingly "cheap" for the day before the flight I would have taken. $204! My mom did not help talk me out of it because she "was in a movie". Another acquaintance seduced me into going by her prediction of which doll would open the final show. I snatched that ticket up so fast! I went to L.A. for the final show of the tour on a whim, and it was thrilling! I was so excited and giddy! I kept texting my friends my inane babblings about how I was going to L.A. because I'm batshit crazy.

Proof I went to L.A.:


It's my duty as a good Louisiana girl to take a picture of Brit-Brit's star no matter how screwed up she is or how pregnant her 16-year-old sister may be.

Also, Sweaty Elvis accosted me and then sweat on me and then expected me to tip him for his accosting and his sweat.


The best thing about L.A.?


My fat face!

Tori is such a sweetheart to her fans. (Not to these obnoxious ones, though. Forward to about 2:29 for the R-rated tirade she unleashes on some girls who were being disrespectful to her. You have been warned of the R-ratedness.) She is so gracious and humbled to meet us. She listens to every story she is told no matter how vomit-inducingly cheesy or sad it may be. She laughs and cries with us. She is sincerely interested in each person she meets. I love that she takes time out of her busy days to meet her fans.

The final show was FANTASTIC! It was so full of energy. Two dolls actually opened up the show, something that occured in three of the last few shows. We saw Isabelle, the blond with the camera, first.


She smokes herbal cigarettes, apparently. Her set was gorgeous, politically-charged, and a dream for me because all of the songs were songs I'd never seen Tori play live but had always wanted to. Isabelle left after four songs. The band continued to play a mind-blowing jam, and Matt Chamberlain, the drummer, was SICK on those drums. Some of the most amazing drumming I have ever seen! After a couple minutes, Pip came out for another ass-kicking, angry set. I LOVE this doll because she's so crazy. She does one-armed push-ups, she flips off the crowd, she growls, she drools (foams?) all over the piano, she is a piece of awesome work! Pip played five songs and left, after which Tori came out for her final jumpsuit-and-orange-wig-wearing set of her life (knock on wood). She was full of energy and nostalgia for her final show of the tour. It was a really great show, and I'm so glad that I went. I met some fun people while there, and we spent the entire day of the concert together. We are TOTAL facebook friends now! That's real love.

And finally:


Do these glasses make me look smarter?

*Most of the Tori concert pics were taken by Troy Bullocks, and I think they're awesome!

17 Comments:

At 20:39, Blogger Rachel said...

I have always respected Tori for going out to meet her fans--and not just in some crappy meet and greet. I love that she goes out to the line and meets people. That is awesome! Tori remembers just who it is that pays her bills.

 
At 20:39, Blogger Rachel said...

By the way, I've still been dropping by almost every day. How's that for devotion?

 
At 20:43, Blogger kiki said...

You're insane!

Yes! She doesn't schedule the meet-&-greets (except she did have some official ones this tour); she goes outside where the fans congregate. Have I mentioned that I love this woman?

 
At 22:48, Blogger i i eee said...

You look like a genius. Sexy specs.

SO jealous that you got to see Tori up close and personal in her wiggafied glory!!!

It's called Google Reader. Never have to check unless you update. IT'S ABOUT DANG TIME!

 
At 22:53, Blogger i i eee said...

And and and, what did you say to Tori???

 
At 22:53, Blogger kiki said...

Shouldn't that be wiggified? I mean, it's not like she adopted a blackcent.

 
At 23:02, Blogger AzĂșcar said...

What DID you say to her?

 
At 23:09, Blogger kiki said...

Before she came out, her bodyguard told us she only had 30 minutes to spend with us. He said, "So keep it short. No long stories because you know she's a sweetheart, and she will listen to every word you say. Be considerate of other people who want to meet her." So I just said that I adored her and thanked her for coming out to see us. Then I got my picture taken and moved out of the line to let someone else up.

Smitty also warned people who had VIP tickets for the official M&G to leave the line because if he saw them in our line and then at the VIP M&G, he would kick them out and they wouldn't be able to re-enter for the show. He also told the regulars to go to the back of the line.

 
At 02:11, Blogger i i eee said...

That's pretty awesome that he told the regulars to go to the back of the line. And the VIP thing. Good ol' Smitty.

When I met her, I was so nervous, all I could do was spell my name for her to sign my Pele record.

 
At 12:01, Blogger c jane said...

I think there needs to be a class called "Understanding Tori 101" and you should teach it, because I just read this whole post and What? Dolls? Pip? Smitty?

I didn't understand a lick of it other than the part about Britney Spear's pregnant sister.

But again, I like to see my friend's dreams come true for the Holidays.

 
At 12:09, Blogger kiki said...

This explanation should help you out a little bit, c. Also, Smitty is Tori's big, bad, sweet bodyguard.

 
At 12:10, Blogger kiki said...

P.S. I put my hand on Smitty's upper arm/shoulder, and I'm here to tell you that that man is made of solid rock.

 
At 13:37, Blogger ~j. said...

Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou. I am so glad to read/see you and your fabulous adventures.

I have a pic of Tori and my friend Martha (sent to me for my birthday and to make me jealous - check) from sometime in the 90s...I didn't realize that her (Tori) going to coffee with people was a regular occurrence, and I'm so pleased about it.

Merry Christmas to all.

 
At 14:09, Blogger i i eee said...

Hahahaha! Of all the pics of Smitty you picked to show -you picked that one! Hilarious! I love her expressions.

 
At 18:51, Blogger Boedee said...

It is just so good to see that you have updated your blog. I mean...whats it been 5 months now??!!!! :) Since you left a comment on mine I have been checking yours for something new.... ABOUT TIME!! :) So I guess there are ~2~ fans!

Glad that you are loving life...I really am..coming to Vegas anytime soon! :)

 
At 22:15, Blogger N.F. said...

Love the glasses. They are hot...and not in a "I swing that way" type of hot, either.

;)

 
At 11:24, Blogger Sean said...

THE BRITNEY STAR!!! :) :) :) :)

YAYYYYYY

love love love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home