Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Have a cupcake

I said I'd share favorite recipes with y'all and here's the first. I recommend these cupcakes I baked to celebrate the American Idol finale. They come from the cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They are super easy to make, and my parents, who are skeptical of my new vegetarian self, admitted that these were the best cupcakes they've had in a long time. Seriously, they are delicious!

Basic chocolate cupcake (makes 12 cupcakes)
1 C soy milk
1 t apple cider vinegar
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/3 C canola oil
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 C flour
1/3 C cocoa powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

Preheat oven to 350, line muffin tins with liners.

Whisk together the soy milk and venegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat till foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.

And because it was the easiest thing to do, I topped the completely cooled cupcakes with a chocolate ganache.

1/4 C soy milk
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 T pure maple syrup

Bring the soy milk to a gentle boil in a small sauce pan. Immediately remove from heat and add the chocolate and maple syrup. Use a rubber heatproof spatula to mix the chocolate until it is fully melted and smooth. Set aside at room temperature till ready to use.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 20:10, Blogger Stephan said...

If I can find anything to replace the apple cider vinegar (which I don't think you can get in Japan) I'm trying these this week. Any suggestions?

Here's a recipie for Japanese Cheesecake which you might like.
http://straighttothehop.blogspot.com/2007/04/food-hop-2-japanese-cheese-cake.html

 
At 22:19, Blogger kiki said...

The soy/vinegar combo replaces buttermilk, so if you can get your hands on buttermilk (I'm assuming you're not vegan) in Japan, that should be a suitable replacement. You could also mix 3/4C milk with 1/4 C yogurt. Have fun making them.

 
At 00:41, Blogger kiki said...

I shall have to try out that recipe. Sounds yummy.

 
At 18:14, Blogger Stephan said...

Thanks for the suggestions, I think a long wander around my supermarket, translation book in hand, is in order.

 
At 17:47, Blogger c jane said...

I am going to try them STAT.

 
At 17:55, Blogger kiki said...

Do.

 
At 19:16, Blogger sarah k. said...

I've got that book too, and have had some decent success. I also use some of the tricks to modify my muffins. I make yummy pumpkin muffins that are high fiber, low-ish fat. I think I'll post my recipe tonight.

 
At 23:58, Blogger Stephan said...

I still haven't had a chance to try the muffins yet, (been busy getting harrassed by monkey's and hornets) but I am trying to make a truffle and hazelnut base cake tonight which if all goes well will post on blog and let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home