Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rich Whitey: 6/1997 - 4/2007



I remember the day I brought her home. She was beautiful and shiny and smell-goody. The first song I played was "Elegantly Wasted" by INXS, and I loved it so much because the sound system was WAY better than the car I had just replaced. The bass boomed. I invited my friends to come visit her and to go with me on little jaunts with her. One of my favorite friends of that Summer christened her "Rich Whitey" because she was the richest car on the block.

Rich Whitey was the venue where a lot of good memories were made. I took many drives through the gorgeous canyons of Utah. I fell in love in that car. Many roadtrips to San Diego, Las Vegas, Denver, Southern Utah, Logan, and the Sierra Nevadas were made in Rich Whitey. She was my therapist; a lot of problems were sorted out with her. But I think we both preferred when she was filled with friends, laughter, music, and she was going somewhere fun.

Ah... I'm going to miss Rich Whitey. She has a lot of power, but she's getting old and wrinkled and dilapidated. She's being sent to live with a nice Guatemalan family (I'm not kidding), where she will be loved and cared for in this Indian Summer of her life and where her new name will be Huera Rica. I wanted to keep her forever, but that's impractical. I need to buck up and move on.

Now I will be driving my mom's old car because she bought a new vehicle. The old car is not actually old. It's quite nice. It's a Mazda 626. I haven't thought up a name for it yet. The best I can come up with is "Red-headed Stepchild". I'll have to think about it.

I'm kinda sad about the whole thing. So all yous that have met/ridden/fellowshipped Rich Whitey, pay your respects!

5 Comments:

At 04:57, Anonymous Tokyo Mama said...

My favorite memory of my time in Rich Whitey was travelling to certain someone's abode to bedeck their lawn with pink flamingos.

 
At 08:57, Blogger Rachel said...

Ahhh, I remember riding to Wendy's in Rich Whitey. I also remember seeing her parked oh-so-gallantly on the west side of the JKHB, just waiting for her mistress to come ride her into the sunset.

Farewell, Rich Whitey. You will be missed.

(My word verificiation is tubfill! Sweet!)

 
At 10:04, Anonymous bri said...

Summer of 2000 when Gladiator opened in the US and you and I saw it once or thrice. Yes, and our Macaroni Grill outings. All courtesy of R.W. May it rest in peace!

 
At 11:40, Anonymous burichan said...

How about the summer of 2004 touring all of the delicious places to eat in the New Orleans area--listening primarly to U2 and Jack Johnson?

Also the trips to PF Changs at the mall.

Enjoy your upgrade.

 
At 09:47, Blogger Kiki said...

The day after I sold Rich Whitey (R.I.P.), I was sitting in Red-headed Step-child studying before going to class. I turned the ignition enough to roll my windows back up (I had not been playing music or anything. The car was completely off.), and they rolled up very sluggishly. I thought that was weird, so I went to start the car, and NOTHING!!! I was dead right there! So I had to take the car to the mechanic to test my electrical system. First order of business was a new battery. RHSC does NOT know how to make a good first impression! And THEN...THAT SAME DAY...I noticed that there was a leak in the trunk, for all of the wells were filled with water!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home