Sunday, October 30, 2005

BONO FOR PRESIDENT



I went to see U2 last night in Dallas. It was amazing! My favorite part of the show was probably when Bono pulled a guy up to play guitar with them for a song. I know they do this almost every show, but the guy wanted to play ANGEL OF freaking HARLEM! I LOVE that song. They probably hadn't played that song in years, which was made evident by Bono's making up lyrics for most of the song. The kid they pulled up was killer on the guitar, not The Edge killer, but great nonetheless. It was probably the coolest moment of his entire life sharing a mic with Bono and dueling with The Edge. And "Angel of Harlem"...SO GOOD...even though Bono had no idea what he was saying half of the time.

Here are some of my post-concert chats with buddies so you can get a sense of what happened tonight:

Ty: how was the concert?
Carrie: it was AWESOME!
T: rockin
C: U2 puts on THE. BEST. SHOW. and bono is the man.
C: seriously larger than life, those guys.
T: what constitutes a great show concertwise?
C: and they really know how to make a crowd feel good.
C: first, their stage set up was awesome. if it didn't induce some seizures, they failed.
C: they had this huge oval catwalk on the floor with a round stage in the far end of the oval. the catwalk and stage were surrounded lights that RACED around and changed colors during some songs.
T: ah
C: lights everywhere with great effects.
T: I once watched a pianist who had running lights that didn't work so well as that
C: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
C: that would have been funny to see.
T: it would have been
C: it was very energetic and intense at times
T: did anyone fly?
T: does Bono fly?
C: i'm watching espn right now, and they are talking about dress codes in schools, i.e., (according to some black professional athletes) making poor, black students conform.
C: GOOD. GRIEF.
C: no one flew, but bono did disappear and reappear at different places.
T: celebrities need to either play their sports, sing their songs, or read their lines and just shut up about the world at large.
C: these guys are MISSING THE POINT
T: I say that, and here we are talking about Bono.

(I totally missed that line, or we would have talked all about Bono's fingers being in political pies all around the world. Durnig the concert, he did talk about the ONE organization that he is affiliated with. www.ONE.org I believe. He told us to text our names to a number that was shown on the screen. Now I'm sure I will get stuff from ONE all the time, but my name was up there on the screen at the end of the show.)

-----------------------------

Carrie: i just got back from drooling over bono.
James: deb says she hates you.
C: oh well
C: it's a lie
J: what's a lie?
C: her hating me is a lie
C: i really did just get out of a U2 concert
c: the stage set-up ws killer
J: did deb tell you we went to the sugarland/sara evans/brad paisley concert? 8th row floor....it was actually good......but trust me i wasn't singing along to any songs.
C: yeah, that sounds like country. may i turn your attention here: from the hip
C: i love hotels with wireless internet, by the way.
J: where are you? are you at home?
C: i'm in dallas
C: what? you think U2 came to MONROE?
J: i guess you are right,,,monroe being the hot spot, not sure if alot of the "common folk" would attend, unless they came to sunday service.
C: well, a U2 concert is a little bit like church.
J: U2 like church? ok, i could see that, but it is a stretch.

-------------------------------

Carrie: my head is killing me
Ben: heh.. loud?
Carrie: yelling
Carrie: and screaming
Carrie: and concussions from swooning and hitting the ground
Ben: "I HOPE I GET REINCARNATED AS A COW SO I CAN WRAP MY SKIN AROUND YOUR SEXY LEGS"
Carrie: what?!
Ben: that's what you were screaming at bono
Carrie: "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!"
Carrie: then i yelled that'
Ben: you want to BE his leather pantaloons
Carrie: i was sitting next to a married guy who was hitting on me
Carrie: his wife was sitting in another section
Ben: awesome
Carrie: he bought me water when he went to get a beer because i had told him in a previous conversation that i didn't drink alcohol
Ben: lol... cool
Ben: maybe he was just nice
Ben: and you were all like.. "pervert"
Carrie: no...he was talking about kissing me
Ben: LOL... WHAT?
Ben: WHAT?
Ben: what did he say?
Carrie: i'm not kidding
Ben: "hey.. my wife went to get a beer... mmmm let's make out"
Carrie: "man, if you had binoculars, i would totally make out with you...not that we can't."
Ben: hahaha
Ben: awesome
Carrie: his wife was a knockout too
Carrie: what a freak he was
Ben: was his wife sitting there when he said this?
Ben: maybe she doesn't care... maybe she's bi and they have an open marriage
Carrie: no, her ticket was in another section. i offered to have her trade with me, but he said, "no...it's good. we don't have to do that."
Ben: haha... lordy
Ben: if you're planning on making out with someone.. it's just rude not to invite your spouse to join in.
Ben: RUDE
Carrie: he left early for some reason. his wife yelled at him and had a look of despair on her face.
Ben: my goodness.. the morals on these people today
Ben: they probably hate each other
Carrie: maybe she was on-call or something...she's a doctor.
Carrie: it made me wonder if they were swingers.
Ben: probably
Carrie: because he didn't hold back at all
Ben: i wish i had been there
Ben: it'd be hilarious
Ben: i'd be like "hey dude.. wanna make out"
Ben: but then i'd be worried if he was like "let's do it!"
Carrie: he probably would have
Ben: lol
Ben: he sounds... odd
Ben: i can't believe he was trying to get you to make out
Ben: maybe he just wanted his wife to see it
Ben: or maybe they are swingers. i dunno.. lol
Ben: i wonder if open marriages "work"
Carrie: i don't understand it
Carrie: people is crazy
Carrie: i have got to lay down before my head explodes.

-------------------------

From the set-up to the setlist to Bono's strutting around the stage/catwalk (He is THE MAN!) to Larry Mullins, Jr. getting some catwalk love (FINALLY!) with a little drum kit placed out there for a song, U2 was awesome. And they're such a "feel-good" band. They want everyone to be happy and to be able to enjoy peace and freedom and equality. They know how to ignite the soul and pump energy into every person in the arena. It's so intense being in a U2 crowd. I loved it.

13 Comments:

At 15:15, Blogger metamorphose said...

Wow Carrie. You're making me think U2 is cool again. I just got so sick of seeing Bono's face, and hearing people I hate talk about how much they love U2...but I have seen U2live, and yes, it was a fabulous concert experience overall.

So maybe today, just for you, I'll whip out some Rattle 'n' Hum and sing along to Angel of Harlem.

 
At 17:40, Blogger April said...

*whine* I've never been to even one rock concert.

But I used to have the biggest crush on The Edge. Remember that song in the early 80s where it was just The Edge singing (well, fast taking over music) with Bono singing background? I still have it on a mix tape. LOVED it.

Hit on by a swinger, eh? As if being at a fabulous concert wasn't experience enough.

 
At 18:15, Anonymous Ty said...

Looks like Bono's playing in a burning ring of fire.

And that rocks.

 
At 22:17, Blogger metamorphose said...

Oh April -I love that song. "Numb" it's called. In fact I love the whole Zooropa album. Very groovy.

 
At 08:01, Blogger Kiki said...

Ahem..."Numb" was in the early 90s when I was in high school. Don't make me older than I already am. My favorite song from Zooropa is "Lemon". Or is it "Stay"? I don't know which. I love "Lemon" because it's so funky, and I love "Stay" because I like to pretend Bono is begging me, "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, and the night will be enou-ou-ou-ough." *goes to play "Stay" right now*

April, you really should get thee to a concert. GO!

 
At 09:10, Blogger kristenlibrarian said...

jealous.

 
At 09:11, Blogger kristenlibrarian said...

about the u2 thing. not the swinger.

 
At 10:04, Blogger metamorphose said...

LE-MON! SEE-THROUGH IN THE SUNLIGHT! SHE WORE LAAAE-MON!

 
At 12:27, Blogger April said...

I actually meant early 90s. Slip of the finger. I'm not old enough to remember the early 80s music that clearly, let alone have a crush on a musician from then. :)

 
At 16:33, Blogger redlaw said...

I do enjoy some good U2...and I am a fan of Bono - he might have too many causes for his own good but I like that he sticks to his guns and does something with his celebrity besides go to awards parties 24-7.

Sounds like a good concert minus the swinger who wanted to show you a good time.

 
At 14:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love bono, i love the edge, i love larry, i love adam, i love U2 lol im listening to them right now, the fly, achtung baby!! i went to a U2 concert back in may in chicago, it was bono's birthday, wicked... we chanted happy birthday, the concert i went to is going to be made into a dvd... ahhh i loved it so much, there is nothing like a U2 concert!!

 
At 17:43, Blogger Girly Girl said...

If you want over 18 adults only dating then Swinger Dating is the site for you. Totally free too :)

 
At 17:14, Blogger The Walrus said...

ooooooooook the post above is weird. :(

I love "stay" it's probably my favourite U2 song ever!

I WANT TO SEE U2!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home