Thursday, August 25, 2005

This week has been so crazy, y'all. I was so nervous about my schedule, and I probably will be until we really get rolling. However, the classes, for the most part, are going to be pretty good. Statistics isn't really worth mentioning yet. I don't think it ever will be. Lemme think...nope.

Even though the organic chemistry lectures have been boring so far, I'm still excited about the material. I changed chem labs yesterday because of a tip Karen, my lab partner, got from another of our friends. In our new lab, we don't have to have the $5000 book. (We don't have $5000 more on account of our already paying $20 billion for the rest of our books.) The professor for the new lab told his class that he doesn't want us to do more than we have to. I don't know what that means for our experiments, but I do understand that he never changes his quizzes from semester to semester. So either we're going to ace all of our quizzes, or Tuesday we're going to have an unwelcomed surprise.

My genetics class is going to be TOTALLY AWESOME! You remember my male nemesis of 2004? Well, his wife is my professor, and when compared to how he was the semester I hated him, they are like night and day. The other day when someone walked into class late, I was bracing myself for the backlash, but there was none. She just smiled and invited the student to find a seat and join us. But that isn't the reason why our class is going to rock. We are going to "clone" ourselves. We are going to extract our DNA and run experiments to find out what we are made of, what alleles we have for various genes, how they compare to other students, and what mutations we might have. If she can get the university to foot the bill, we are going to take a field trip to the criminalistics lab out of town for a conference. We are going to debate hot-button genetics issues. We're going to gargle saltwater and spit. We're going to put a strand of our DNA into a vile and put the vile on a string (free mom Christmas present!!). We're going to watch some movies. We have to write a research paper, but the possibilities are almost limitless. For example, she said that if we were CSI fans, we could watch the show and discover, along with lectures and projects, that that show really is scientific crap. Then we could write a paper about it. So we are basically going to get grades on spitting, making kindergarten-type mom gifts, watching TV, and waxing scientific about crime shows. HOW. AWESOME. IS THAT?! I wonder if we get extra points for scratching our butt.

I don't want y'all to feel overwhelmed by a really long post, so this is all for now. Trust me, more will come. The best is yet to come!

4 Comments:

At 14:26, Blogger kristenlibrarian said...

Your genetics class sounds sweet! If I hadn't majored in English I totally would have gone into Science. And it's always a plus when you can get a grade for spitting.

 
At 11:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a professor nemesis. But I finally told him off in front of the class for treating me so crappy, and he totally respected me for it! From then on, I could do no wrong. He loved me. The masochistic bastard.
(April)

 
At 15:26, Blogger Kiki said...

Oh, I'm totally fine with him now. I HAD to take another of his classes, and we actually formed a very good working relationship.

 
At 21:28, Blogger metamorphose said...

Aren't nemesi fun sometimes? Afterwards at least? You know, when you're like, "remember him? I HATED him. Those were fun hatin' times."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home