Thursday, July 07, 2005

This [girl] is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Thanks to this schmuck I have just spent the last half-hour watching/listening to that Gwen Stefani video. I don't know why I've been doing this. There is no rational explanation. I have no idea what a "hollaback girl" is. I know a Hollaback family. And it's true that in that case, Gwen is not a Hollaback girl. I don't think that's what she means, though. I have no idea what this song is talking about. I have no idea why she cheers in the middle of the song. I have no idea why I'm watching this video...AGAIN...for the seventh time...

Lately, as I go about my blog reading, I see where someone has used the word "bananas" to mean something like "awesome". And I wonder where that came from. Who decided that bananas should have this meaning? So the other night, I was asking my friend Llew if she knew anything about this phenomenon. She googled it and found an entry at urbandictionary.com. It says:

1. bananas
According to Gwen Stefani, bananas is what "this s***" is. Soon thereafter she informs us how to spell bananas.

Addicting? Yes.
Retarted? Perhaps.
Genius? Absolutely.
Orange County Spelling Bee:

Bee Man: Ms. Stefani, please give a definition and then spell "Bananas."

GS: This s*** is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Bee Man: Genius. Pure Genius. Give her the 1st place trophy right away. Ms. Stefani, you are the bananas.


I also learned from that entry that Carnegie-Mellon has a cheer where they spell out bananas, something that Stefani does in that song. (She's even wearing a tartan, which is not the beautiful CM tartan.) Bonnie, is that true? Leave a comment...I know you read this.

In better video news, Tori's video for Sweet the Sting was released yesterday. I wish I could dance the rumba.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home