Saturday, July 23, 2005

Some of you are going to think this is bizarre, but I don't care. I have a soft spot in my heart for Roy Orbison. I don't know why. My parents aren't fans. I remember his videos being played on Vh-1 almost constantly when the network first started, but I also remember thinking he reminded me of Ronnie Millsap, who freaks me out in the same way strangers dressed as Santa freak out many little kids. Plus Roy sang with the Travelling Willburys, a group that consisted of singers who can't sing, like Tom Petty and Bob Dylan and, I'm gonna say it, George Harrison. (Note: I am not saying that these people aren't good songwriters because THAT would be blasphemous. I'm saying they lack the ability to actually sing without making me want to cut out my eardrums and feed them to my dog.) So I don't know why I melt whenever I hear Roy Orbison sing when I have all of these other negative things connected to him. The other night I was in a restaurant with some friends, and one of his songs was being played over the speakers. I called for a reverential moment of silence. (Yes, that is probably redundant. Shut up!) Well, today, I went to Shreveport and was in Best Buy where I passed by some Roy Orbison CDs. I bought one. I've played it about 3 times now. I love him. And again, I can't explain why. But I'm left here alone, alone and crying, crying, CRYING, CRYING OHHHHHH VERRRRRRRRR HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!

Tonight on the way back to Monroe from Shreveport, I was playing DJ with a friend's iPod. She has a lot of older and "world" stuff (The Gypsy Kings belong in that category of people who can't sing and the eardrums thing.) that I don't really care for on her iPod, but I did find a few songs that I love. It was funny because every song I chose has a memory tied to it, and I realised that I know a lot of songs by the music videos made for them. I found myself saying quite frequently, "I LOVE/HATE the video to this song," or "Yoko Ono is so ugly in this video. Wait...she never was a beauty," and it would be John Lennon's "Imagine" or "Watching the Wheels" or Maxie Priest's cover of "Wild World". The La's "There She Goes" makes me think of junior high and spending the afternoons at Mariah's house watching MTVs video countdown. And hearing that song makes me want to pull out my Dead Milkmen CD to listen to "Punkrock GIrl" which was also a popular video with "There She Goes". ABBA makes me pine for my friends from my freshman year of college. The Mamas and the Papas makes me want to take a roadtrip to anywhere but here. Tracy Chapman puts me back in my Camry on the way to San Francisco in 1996. And I DO NOT like Michael Jackson post-"BAD", and it's NOT because I've never been in a black gospel choir. It's because it sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home