Monday, March 28, 2005

This last week has been pretty crappy for my grandmother. Her brother was buried Saturday, and her cat was acting kinda funny. He would sit in her lap all of the time, but recently he was just going off by himself and sleeping in weird places. Yeah, I said "was". I went with her this morning to take him to the vet, and we returned home sans kitty. She's very emotional now.

I hate being "stuck" at g-ma's house for stuff like this. I feel like I can't go anywhere because I think that that would be insensitive or something. And she's just in the other room crying her eyes out. There's only so much hugging a person can do, and I can only take so much of watching her cry when there is nothing I can do about it. What am I supposed to do about something like this? I don't consider myself an insensitive person, but I just want to tell her to buck up. And I don't want to stop what I do because her cat's gone.

I tried to get my mom to go to the vet in my stead this morning because I live with my grandmother. I'm going to have to deal with all of her emotions, and I didn't want to be part of getting the news. But my mom wouldn't go. So today has been a WONDERFUL day. I suddenly wish I had planned on going somewhere for Spring Break, or that this could have happened while school was in session. I know...I'm a horrible granddaughter.

Here is a possible "comfort scenario" I'm working up to tell her:

Mimi, I know it's going to be hard getting over Gen-Gen, but he's in a better and happier place. He's with his mom, dad, and some of his siblings. He's in a place where the catnip never ends. He can jump and frolic again with his family. He's in a place where kitties are not at war. There is peace in the land. Siamese, Burmese, American short-hairs, Himalayans, Bengal, Hairless, Alleys...they are all there together in harmony; there is no prejudice or pride among them. Martin Luther Kat, Jr.'s "dream" is alive. They are happy. Isn't that what you want?

I don't think I'd be able to deliver that with a straight face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home