Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I have a new pet peeve. Actually, it's an old pet peeve, but it's one that a lot of people have been petting lately. You see, when I'm not in class, I'm usually on campus studying. There is this room in my building that never has anybody in it, so that is where I go. It's nice and cool, it has big tables instead of desks, and it has big windows that let the light in. Basically, if I'm not in that room, I'm in class or it's past 5:00 PM, which means I'm gone, baby.

I have light-sensitive eyes, so I don't like a lot of lights to be on. I like sitting in the dark. I like watching, eating, bathing, typing on the computer...all in the dark. If I'm in a room, and someone comes in and switches a light on, they better switch it off when they leave. When I'm studying in this room, I never turn on the lights because, as I mentioned before, there are lots of big windows that let light in.

So today and yesterday and Friday and many other days, I am sitting in there reading or studying. And inevitably, someone passes by and sees me working, and they feel it their responsibility to turn on the light. Then they say something like, "You can turn the lights on!" or "You can't see without light!" or "You're going to ruin your eyes!"

OH. MY. GOODNESS. PEOPLE! I am not 5 damn years old! I KNOW that most people would have THE sun sitting next to them while reading if they could get that close. I get that it is rational to turn on the light when focusing on stuff. I understand that light makes it easier to see stuff. But guess what. I. DON'T. CARE! I am perfectly happy doing what I do. The lights, especially fluorescent lights, hurt me more than they help me. There is a reason I wear sunglasses ALL. OF. THE. TIME. I can see perfectly well by the light of the sun that is shining from 149,597,870.691 kilometers away through the classroom window. I don't need light to see the computer because guess what, genius. It's already lit up. The same thing goes for the TV. And don't EVEN try to tell me to turn on a light IN THE MORNING when I'm just getting up and taking a shower. You know what? Don't even talk to me in the morning. Just. don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home