Friday, July 16, 2004

I'm having trouble lately with people who can't think outside of the box.  I've always had trouble with them, actually.  I guess recently it's been magnified because I'm taking an algebra course.  It's hardly noteworthy the fact that I'm a college graduate, yet I'm taking college algebra.  But it has been almost 10 years since I've taken a math course, and if I'm going to take chemistry and physics classes, I need to reintroduce myself to basic algebraic functions.
 
Anyway, I feel like I'm in a class with people who have never seen numbers before.  Whenever we're learning new principles in the class, the professor always walks us through several examples step by step.  Granted, she isn't the best at clearly explaining things, but I get it. 
 
Let's say we have a model equation:  an=a1+(n-1)d.  This equation is for calculating numbers in an arithmetic series, e.g., 3, 6, 9, 12 (Note that the difference between consecutive numbers is always 3 here.)  3 is a1, 6 is a2, 9 is a3, and so on.  But I want to find a100 (or an), so I use my model equation and fill in the holes:  a100=3+(100-1)3  (d is the difference - 3).  a100= 300.  The professor just wrote out a100=3+99(3).  I thought the heads of some of the students were going to explode!  Pandamonium ensued.  Someone actually asked, "Why do you have 99 there instead of (100-1)?"  I gave that person the beating of his life...in my head.  I wanted to vault over desks and people to give him a truly gangsta-worthy beating and call him my bitch. 
 
It's frustrating to me that these people don't see that although it looks different from the model equation, 99 is the SAME as 100-1.  I can't imagine what the professor is thinking.  If I were her, I'd want to go back to my office after class and drink myself stupid.
 
That's just one of many examples of stupidity I'm forced to wait-out every morning.  It is quite amusing sometimes, but when I'd rather be sleeping, it's just plain retarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home