Saturday, June 12, 2004

Name of the day: Joey Joseph. I don't understand why parents name their kids like this. Do they do it on the off chance that he/she will have an incurable stutter? It's redundant and, worse, stupid. William Williams. Harry Harrison. Holly Holliday. It's just wrong.

So this morning I was dreading the wedding I had would have to attend because it was going to be a Catholic wedding complete with mass, and those can go on FOR. E. VER. I didn't have time for all of that today, but since the groom was my unofficially adopted brother, I broke down and went...without my GameBoy. I thought that would be a bit tacky.

It turns out that the wedding didn't last the three hours I thought it would; it was half that. And the priest was on quite a roll with spouting off jokes and stories and such. He got to be a little too much when he started comparing Peter to Jennifer's "sweet, smooth 3 Musketeers bar" and Jennifer to Peter's "delicious, sugary KitKat". It got more ridiculous and rather inappropriate when talking to us, the crowd, and telling us that it was our duty to make sure Jennifer gets home in the early evening to "UNWRAP THAT 3 MUSKETEERS BAR"! (He said the same thing about Peter getting home to "nibble on his KitKat".)

I wish I were making this up, but I'm incapable of doing so. It's just too over-the-top for me. Man, priests need some badly!

The priest did say something else that I thought was great and ungross. He said, "Peter, there will be 5 times in the rest of your life when Jennifer will make you mad, and you're going to roll your eyes. But don't roll them at Jennifer. Roll them to God. He knows what that means. That's a prayer. And when you roll your eyes and say, "Lord help me", He's not going to change Jennifer; He's going to change you." I loved the rolling-eyes thing. "God knows what that means."

I was just beaming the whole time because little Peter was standing up there at the altar a grown man, taking on great responsibilities, and he is so good. I'm just proud of him.

So it was good for me to take the time to go to the wedding. I feel happy and I got some blog-fodder. I also got to see Peter's sister, Anne, who was one of my good friends while growing up. After we graduated high school, we went our separate ways, and I hadn't heard from her since. She just got married a couple of months ago, and she looked radiant.

Most of the time, I think life is just too hectic, and I want to escape into myself. Then there are times like today when it seems like all is right in the world. I'm glad when I get to catch those moments.

Also, today was the first and only time I hope to ever hear the words "bra" and "panties" escape the lips of a priest during a wedding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home