Sunday, June 20, 2004

Name of the day: It's a whole family. Tamaisa Marie Terry and LaCourtney Trumaine Graves welcome a girl, Tra'Mya Evette. There is no explanation that will ever help me to understand these "names".

I always have such high hopes for the weekend. Like, I'm always thinking, "I can finally read this book and clean my room." Then the weekend comes. I sleep in on Saturday until 11:30. I get suckered into reading my email and my usual blogs, and while I'm doing that my friends log on. So I have to chat with them for a while and maybe form a rebellion against evil people who want money in order to read their blogs, like they're the monarch of clever thought and deserve to be paid to be let into their random musings. Then we bombard them with our own biting words until they relent. We pat ourselves on the back, and I go to eat something.

After returning from eating something, I see that Netflix has sent me the next three discs of Absolutely Fabulous, a British show that is just as the title implies. So I toss a disc into the DVD player and sit back to laugh it up for a while. Sometimes I feel like Edina is talking directly at me when she says things like, "'Cause frankly, darling, I don't mind subsidizing some fat ol' couch potato who just wants to sit around reading magazines and watching telly all day. Frankly, in the business I'm in, we need that kind of person. But when somebody deliberately over-educates themselves out of the possibility of useful employment, I take issue." Well, I guess I would feel like that if I were getting a masters in something more scholarly making it impossible for me to get a good job in anything besides university professor like I used to want to do. Going to medical school is a little more practicle as long as I actually become a doctor.

I went out to eat with some friends I rarely see anymore for I don't know which reason. They spent much of the dinner trying to convince me that I should go to my 10-year high school reunion in October. I don't want to go! Why doesn't that count for anything? I haven't given a shit about 96% of my class since I graduated, and I'm not going to start giving a shit now. So what's the point? I don't care what those people are doing now or what they look like or how many kids they have. I don't. I only care about what MY friends and I are doing with our lives, and I see those people all the time. I know what WE are doing. I don't want to pay 50 bucks to force niceties at those other people. They're going to be drunk anyway, and we all know how I feel about socialites and their public displays of drunkeness. Even that wouldn't be entertaining to me because I'd just be sitting there thinking, "There goes So-and-so still drunk as ever, I see," and I will have realised that not much has changed since high school.

So now it's Sunday evening. I went to church, watched more AbFab, and took a nap. No reading was done. No room was cleaned. I just took my little retreat from the hustle and bustle of school, work, and extracurricular items of business. Tomorrow will start a new week, and I will have wished I had read that book or cleaned my messy room. Oh well...there's always next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home