Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Untitled

I ‘m trying to think about what has happened these last two weeks. They were pretty uneventful, meaning there were no strikes that affected my life in any way. So I can’t gripe about that. I think I’m still on target for contracting lung cancer through second-hand smoke before I leave here, which means I shall surely die in Sénégal because I’ve been told Africans are crazier about their cigarettes than French people. So I’m expecting to see people moving around smoking 2 or 3 at a time. I’ll take pictures.

My addiction to Tori Amos’ music is just as healthy, or not, as ever. I have managed to listen a few times to this other CD of pop music. Several songs are in Italian, so I’m hoping it will prep me to go to Italy next week. I can say stuff like, “E voglio saltarele tua osa,” or something like that. I think I’m supposed to say it to hot Italian men when I wan to buy a ticket. I guess I should look that up.

Nathan came down to the village from gay Paris this weekend. Well, he came Thursday. We experienced the culinary delights of the village. I didn’t know green beans could be so good, nor did I think that a French person could cook a steak all the way through so that it is hot and only slightly pink in the middle. Hot, done beef...I miss the U.S. We also had French fries. AND I HAD KETCHUP WITH MY STEAK!!! Just like daddy used to make!

Thursday was a much anticipated class with my favorite group of students. For the four weeks before, they had been preparing songs to do a lip sync. They were also to write a paragraph or two focusing on the childhood, musical background, personal life or recent news of the artist that wrote the song they were lip syncing. They could have also chosen to write their personal interpretation of the song.

Well class started Thursday, and I took out the video camera. The students started freaking out, but they got used to the idea. Some of them really hammed up their act. It was hilarious. And when they had finished, Nathan and I did a lip sync of our own. Well, I did the syncing, and he did the flailing of limbs. Special people call it dancing. Our song was a disco tune called “Murder on the Dancefloor”, and it is very popular here. We got a lot of cheers. It was a good time.

Friday we want to Geneva. It is such a beautiful city, and the people are so friendly. It was a great change from what we are used to. We snuck past the concierge at U.N. headquarters and had the chance to snoop around for free, but Nathan only wanted to buy a few things at the bookstore. We made off like bandits! We walked around the old part of the city for most of the day, and before catching our evening train back to the village, we ate really yummy pizza.

Saturday we watched two stupid movies that looked like they were going to be outrageously funny, but they were just bad. However, we managed to stay on a constant sugar-high since we stopped at a candy store. We were also in downtown Grenoble when the anti-war demonstration was moving down the street. We watched it for a while then went to eat. Sunday we went to church and spent the rest of the day eating, talking and burning CDs. Monday we walked up to the tower that looks over the village. It was very cold, and the walk was very spiral-ly. We walked in circles the whole way up. The view was nice, and the tower was neat. I’m starting to get into the history of the village. Man, is this place old! People have lived here bored for centuries. You see, that’s what’s wrong with these people.

Have a good week. I will be travelling Europe for two weeks with my mom. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home